How to Use This Site

Looking for:
...a certain article or performance? Type keywords in the search bar.
...an old @Sloanmusic tweet? Check the Twitter Archive pages sorted by year.
...pretty much anything Sloan-related? Feel free to browse the site!

Friday, September 30, 2016

It’s an Action Pact choice

--taken from: Yorkton This Week

by Thom Barker

Choosing Sloan’s Action Pact is something that not everyone is going to agree with. It’s definitely something Sloan itself wouldn’t agree with – the band’s Jay Ferguson ranked it the last of the band’s albums in an interview with Vice – but I’m not going to be swayed by the words of the guy who wrote the songs themselves. I love this album, almost every song is a winner – “Ready for You” isn’t great – but even the weaker track just emphasizes how great the good ones are.

My approach was to take the album I’d pick when I want to listen to a Canadian album, and I figured it had to be a Sloan album from the outset since I can’t think of a more Canadian band. They’ve been successful mostly in Canada, they reference the country in their lyrics, they work as a collaborative group with four songwriters getting the chance to write something for each album, which is an inherently Canadian approach.

But the most important thing is the songs are good. They also get better with each listen. I gravitated towards Action Pact because of “Nothing Lasts Forever Anymore,” one of my favorite songs, Canadian or otherwise. But listening to the album, it’s top to bottom good, and I found myself questioning whether or not my previous favorite song was actually my favorite song on the album. It’s nearly 40 minutes of nearly perfect power pop, and while I had my doubts about whether or not it would be the album I chose, after listening to it again, I can’t imagine choosing anything else.

--taken from: Yorkton This Week

No comments:

Post a Comment