How to Use This Site

Looking for:
...a certain article or performance? Type keywords in the search bar.
...an old @Sloanmusic tweet? Check the Twitter Archive pages sorted by year.
...pretty much anything Sloan-related? Feel free to browse the site!

Monday, May 6, 2013

Canadian musicians on their 1st instruments

--taken from: CBC music
















by Raina Duris

Jay Ferguson:
"If the accompanying photo is anything to go by, I guess my first instrument was the guitar. And I had no idea how to make chords. I think I received this as a birthday gift and likely just lept around in front of a mirror imitating Ace Frehley or Elvis Presley. By the time Grade 8 rolled around, I was full on into the fantasy of playing in a band and received a proper Fender acoustic guitar for Christmas (thanks mom). After six months of tuneless/abrasive strumming, my mother insisted/demanded on proper lessons. I began lessons with teacher Phil Black at Ken Davidson's Music in Halifax. Phil got me into finger picking style early on, but I was even more interested in him showing me the chords to songs by R.E.M. or the Smiths or the Beatles I would bring in on cassette. Although there are a lot of people who are responsible for me still playing guitar in a band after 22 years, I would definitely put Phil Black in that category. Thanks Phil!"

--taken from: CBC music

No comments:

Post a Comment